PhD Scholarship: Call for expressions of interest
The Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society at La Trobe University invites expressions of interest and applications from suitably qualified candidates for a PhD scholarship. Based within the Drugs, Gender and Sexuality (DruGS) research program, the scholarship will be awarded to support a qualitative project focusing on young people’s alcohol and other drug consumption.
The PhD project will complement a broader ARC DECRA project which investigates the relationship between young people’s concerns about and experiences of drug consumption and the priorities of drug education. The successful applicant will collaborate with Dr Adrian Farrugia to develop a thesis project, which is able to contribute to the aims of the larger project while also reflecting the interests and aspirations of the individual.
The scholarship is based at the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society – one of the Australia leading research centres investigating the social dimensions of health, gender, sexuality and consumption.
Potentially interested applicants are strongly encouraged to review some of Adrian Farrugia’s past research on young people’s alcohol and other drug consumption and drug education.
The successful applicant will:
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian Permanent Resident;
- Hold or expect to obtain First Class Honours or equivalent results and have experience in sociology, gender studies, anthropology, or a related discipline (e.g. youth studies);
- Be able to undertake field research (interviews, observation) or other empirical research.
Experience of qualitative research in a relevant field will be highly regarded.
Expressions of interest should comprise a current CV and statement of interest comprising a brief description of: 1. relevant research interests and experience; 2. theory, method and approaches of interest (two pages maximum including references).
- Personal details (name, address, email and phone contact)
- Tertiary (university) qualifications
- Current study (if applicable)
- Evidence of research ability and qualifications to undertake a PhD
- Summary of original research, such as a thesis, dissertation or research project (not coursework essays or assignments);and research methods subjects/units completed
- Any research employment experience
- Any research publications, such as in refereed journals, conferences papers, books with original research or research reports in industry
- Scholarships or awards received, including where and when you received the award
- Names, position and telephone contacts for two referees who can comment on your research ability. If your application is successful, referees will be asked to submit a written reference to be sent directly to the university.
The successful applicant will be required to also submit a formal application for entry into the PhD program at La Trobe University.
Applications should be emailed to Dr Adrian Farrugia at: email@example.com
Please consult La Trobe University’s guidance on preparing PhD scholarship applications for information about structuring your CV and statement of interest.
For further information contact Professor Adrian Farrugia at: